What is a Director ID?

A director identification number (Director ID) is a unique number given to directors that you will keep forever. These IDs will help to prevent the use of false director identities and identify illegal activities.

If you’re a director, you will only ever need one Director ID for any companies and businesses you may have.

Who needs a Director ID?

All the directors of any entity registered with an ACN/ARBN through ASIC must apply for a Director ID. If you’re not sure if you need one, contact our office for help.

It is considered a criminal offence if you do not apply for the Director ID on time.

Here is when you will need to apply for the Director ID:

Date you become a directorDeadline for applying
Before 31 October 202130 November 2022
1 November 2021 – 4 April 202228 days after you became a director
From 5 April 2022Before becoming a director

How to Apply

The quickest and easiest way is to apply online.

You will need to set up MyGov ID, which is an application with your identification records. You will also need to gather documents from the ATO to match your account.

To find more information about the director ID application, or to apply online, please go to the ABRS website.

If you would like us to provide you with the ATO documents to match your account, please contact us.

If you cannot access MyGov ID, you can apply by phone or through a paper form.

You can apply by calling 13 62 50 from Australia, or +61 2 6216 3440 from overseas.

You will need these documents:

  • Australian tax file number (TFN)
  • Residential address as held by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
  • Answers to two questions based on details from ATO notices or documents
  • Two Australian identity documents – one primary (e.g. passport, birth/citizenship certificate, visa) and one secondary (e.g. Medicare, drivers licence).

If you can’t apply online or over the phone, you can apply using a downloadable paper form.

This is a slower process, and you will need to include certified copies of your documents to verify your identity. You can use identity documents from Australia or overseas.

If you are unable to access MyGov ID or the phone application service, we can help you with the paper lodgement for a fee of $150. Contact us for assistance.